05-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #108
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
"up to 3 ft/lbs and 6 hp on select models" whoop-ti-doo.. Might as well fart while you're on the accelerator.
You are the one that said you can't change any exhaust components without making the car detonate constantly trying to hit a specific map value. Help me understand how it can handle the muffler change but not the 2nd cat delete. You know since it's a fact as you have clearly stated.

Quote:
right right, magic BMW fairy dust makes engines and computer control, and of course physics itself work differently. The Subaru ECU's have a lot of shortfalls, all known compromises to save cost, the _right_ thing to do still isn't hasn't changed. 8 knock sensors > 1 for sure. However the GT-R is running the same line denso ECU, as are many other brands of car. You'd have a hard time convincing anyone that car is not state-of-the-art. My concern would be greater for BMW's because the hacker community is much smaller or non-existent. Hell sometimes you find dirty laundry in the OEM maps/code.
So the answer is that you have zero experience with the programming on the m3. Thanks for clarifying. I will look into this fairy dust to see if BMW does in fact possess it. I now understand that it is the crux of your argument.

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. There's at least one exhaust vendor out there who's supposed dyno plot doesn't even have horsepower and torque cross at 5252. I just LOL'd and moved along. I wouldn't put blind faith for my engine in any vendor unless they full warrantied the engine for at least 100k.
Ignorance is bliss - so true. However, how do you explain a tuner stating that the ECU can adjust when he has everything to gain by telling people the exact opposite? Sure there is manipulation of dynos and far less transparency here than with the Subaru community, but that has really zero to do with this argument. The people with hands on experience here say you are wrong, and you have yet to offer any evidence to the contrary.
Appreciate 0