View Single Post
      05-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

lucid--I definitely saw your car driving around the garage at Watkins Glen. It's loud. I was sitting in my car on the iPad trying to stay warm between sessions and I looked up to see what was making the race car noises--a white E30 M3.
(Actually, I wasn't sitting ON my iPad, but I guess that would keep you warm...)

My instructor and I walked over to the Z06 after the wrecker brought it back to the paddock area. Just as you said, it didn't have a roll bar or cage, but it did have a 5-point harness. On Tuesday in the classroom I brought this up to see what Enrique the group MD thought about using a harness without a cage. I was surprised that he didn't agree that it's a bad idea. We talked about how theoretically with a standard 3-point seatbelt you can lean down out of the way of the roof in a rollover if you don't have a cage, but he poo-pooed this idea. He thinks that a 5-point harness is inherently safer regardless. One of the other instructors agreed with me, though, so the debate continues...

Gearhead--I'm using the fairly new StopTech Street Performance pads that are now shipping with their BBKs. They did really well. We'll see how they hold up. Have fun.
Appreciate 0