View Single Post
      06-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #41
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
You are correct, the shocks will have an effect on how the car moves WHILE its taking a set. However,

You are wrong in implying that the shocks will change where the car takes its set. Unless you are playing games with mismatched compression and rebound on the shocks it will set the same way regardless if it gets there in a controled way or a sloppy way.

The part I highlighted is staight up WRONG. Take a picture of the car in a sustained sweeping turn and both the hard and soft shock car will be leaning the same. They will have the same wheel travel.

Now if you are driving along and suddenly yank the wheel, the way the car moves while taking its set will be different.

Shocks only have an effect on the suspension while the suspension is in motion. At a steady state they have no effect since their sole purpose is to provide resisitance to movement, not support weight.

Perhaps you are more like footie than I realized, ugh.
Have you ever worked on a shaker rig? Well I have and learned an awful lot about the dynamics of suspension.Even in steady state cornering you still have suspension movement happening unless you are dealing with a high downforce car with extremly high spring rates.A totaly smooth corner does not exist in my world,but I forgot that I am dealing with somebody on the left coast and you guys invented it all!
Appreciate 0