View Single Post
      11-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

What should I look for?

Since everyone flipped out on me for posting in tech Im making a thread here. I am an older senior in college and in need of some new wheels. I have $3,500 cash to spend and am open to suggestions. I live in a close to Canada northern climate where we get pounded with snow most of the year. I've tried to own FWD cars in this area and once the weather hits... Useless.

What I need/want:

-Something with solid off road capability

-decent on gas, the more mpg the better but I'm willing to sacrifice gas mileage for a better overall rig

-WILL NOT give me serious troubles or leave me stranded. I don't care about stupid quirks or short comings, what I can't deal with is oops you need an engine, transmission, transfer case etc.

-I understand that I'm not going to find perfection with this amount of cash, I am ok with minor stuff and regular maintenance

-I want to be able to count on it for years on basic maintenance and wearable stuff

-Something good looking and functional

I am ok with any brand, but I want a clean well maintained vehicle that I won't have to get lucky to find. What vehicles, year, make, mileage posess these attributes?

I've seen anything from Tahoes, Durangos, full size 4wd trucks etc all in this range. Mostly had 100-200k, I used to drive an 01 XJ w 91k but it's gone.

What should I look for and what should I make sure to inspect or have cleared before I buy?

How should I go about the purchase without losing out for being too slow or too quick and end up missing a vehicle problem?