01-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
First, to state the obvious, everything in the above threads is spot-on.

Second, not only do German drivers have a proper "respect for the road", but the Autobahn has a specific pavement that is infinitely better than the asphalt in America. Better traction due to it.

Third, I have tried to find the old news/ad campaign for this, but I am coming up short. About 6 or 7 years ago, AAA did a whole ad campaign, going on news shows and talking about the whole issue of "Slow drivers in left lane", and the people who refuse to move, and how it creates those weird "traffic lapses". They stated it as "Aggressive Driving", which it is, because people are driving "offensively", not "defensively". They stated that this was the #1 type of Aggressive Driving in the nation, that it caused millions in insurance costs, millions of wasted manhours, and they begged police to take notice. It was also cosponsored by NHTSA, and then a couple guys from IIHS chimed in.

I really thought it was the beginning of our highways getting policed for ALL driving laws, not just "speeding". Sadly, I was quite mistaken. We still live with the police thinking that "Speeding is bad, Bad Driving is good".

The only thing I can say good about it is that one time I got pulled over, and the cop was screaming at me right off the bat without me even saying one word (doing 82 in a 70 zone), so I went for broke and I questioned the cop about the AAA/NHTSA campaign. After 30 minutes of raucous debate, he calmed down, told me that Florida doesn't care about bad drivers, shook my hand, and let me go with no ticket. I will give that much, to give credit where credit is due.

I will also state that the State Of Florida is now busting its own cops for speeding. They use the patrol car's radio's GPS units to measure the speed, and they fine their own cops. THAT is totally cool.

So, point being, has ANYONE seen this old campaign in some Internet site out there? If so, please paste link. I am sure that many here will be grateful.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)