View Single Post
      12-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #61
muccels
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93,C5,Tahoe,Gsxr750

observations

A few observations If I can. Good job on reflexes on avoiding the accident. It seems I'm constantly avoiding some kind of accident everyday!

The whole passing on the right has been over discussed already. Would I would like to point out you moved over to the right because the traffic stopped in the left lane. No problem with that as I do that all the time.

Driving though in the right lane is not the preferred lane to drive in when being taught defensive driving techniques. Why? Well they teach you to drive in the lane that has the least amount of hazards. In some cases the right lane maybe the less of the hazards but in your case it was the one with the most hazards! In your case it was the only lane not stopped so yeah it was your preferred lane but precautions need to be in place.Not sure how fast you were going. It may have looked faster then what it was because of stopped traffic. Being that said you should have slowed a bit in that lane. Why? First of all with the stopped traffic you know someone is going to want to jump in your same lane to get around other stopped cars. Yes your defensive techniques should make you look at that. Being that you had no out except braking, so slowing should be your next move. Next with the cars pulling out of driveways (blind ones at that) your likely to get struck by one of them (like the honda you pointed out). Not sure if you noticed or anyone else did but did you see the sign for crossing pedestrains? Also the signage on the ground for School CROSSING! Meaning kids in the area. Believe me if you hit and kill a child people will not care if you were going 5 miles over the limit more less 1 mile. People/kids stepping out in the street is a big hazard.Its great you stopped in time and didn't hit the van. I would have been more worried about the people on that corner which you would have been pushed into!

So not bagging on you just be careful how you drive in certain areas! Thanks for posting the video and being a sport on people hopefully givng good feedback. By no means am i a saint! I speed like everyone else just more so on the highway. I used to drive for a living so saw my share of idiots all the time. I still do drive for a living its just part of my job but not my whole job. I have so many endorsements on my license its crazy from car, motorcycle, ambulance, air brakes, haz endor, tanker, and last but not least commercial B Fire engine. Along with classes I have taken and have to keep taking to keep sharp. There is a basic program I wish the state made everyone take. Its called Smith system driving. Its really a basic class but I think it has so many good concepts that the public could use. Heres a basic one I wil share. Has to do with backing. Well the system says that you always place your vehicle when you can to drive straight out of where you parked. If you can't do that then they say back first meaning you back into a place if again you can. Why? Because so many people get into accidents backing. An example here in the bay area is a father just backed over his 2 year old son by accident and killed him. Truely sad.
Again great job on avoiding the accident. Just two more thoughts.. Imagine if you were texting or on the phone would you or anyone could have stopped in time. I say no..

Last edited by muccels; 12-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: add
Appreciate 0