View Single Post
      10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #56
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
No Greg...for everyday driving and street use, the Porsche brakes are no better than the M3. For the track, yes.....the 997's brakes last longer before fade. From a stopping power/effective standpoint...there is no difference for street driving. Steering? to me, I really feel the dartiness and light front end in the 997. At speed, the car feels very floaty to me. Perhaps some like that dartiness and feel better. I don't. I will say that you can feel more of the road in the 997S than the M3 but I prefer the bit heavier steering in the M3. My 997S had a slight bit of "slop" in the steering than either E92M3 that I have owned (perhaps an anomaly; its the only 997 I've driven). If your idea of feeling more of the road and you like the dartiness then yes, I will concede that the 997 steering will be more to your liking than the heavier feel of the M3.

Please pay attention.....where did I EVER mention which one was faster?
I can agree with you when you talk street driving...anything in any performance car is more than anyone will ever need, however, you spoke more in absolute terms. Had you said the only caveat was street driving I wouldnt have thought twice about it. On the track is certainly a different story.
As far as faster, when you say performance I think being faster falls into that category...
I like being able to feel the road. I like that the steering is precise to the point that if I ran over a penny in my previous Porsches, or the 997S' Ive driven (and even more so in GTx's) I could tell you exactly what part of Lincoln's head I just ran over. Porsche's have undeniably (and virtually unanimously) the best steering in the car industry...and would include Lotus in that category as well. I think the M3s steering is very good, but have never liked the overboosted and articifial feel you get especially at lower speeds. Other than that, its good, and accurate but wouldnt say it has 911/Cayman/Boxster levels of tactile feel/weighting, precision or accuracy.
Appreciate 0