06-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #41
sttjmk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Sedan ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
Was this issue 1st and 2nd gear grind affecting only 2008 M3s or does it affect 2009 thru 2011 as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
'Baulking' I experienced w/ 2008 M3 was when trying to downshift into 1st gear at certain speeds. It was clearly resisting. Fixed that by going w/ DCT on the next lease.

1st-to-2nd shifts were, however, grinding. In my case, it was always at low-RPM shifts. High-RPM/WOT 1st-to-2nd shifts were always smooth.
I had similar problems with my 2011, so it might be the whole model run.

Dealer, and BMW corporate could not find any other poeple with probs with 1-2 low RPM grinding. They thought for the first few months that I was the problems. Then I video taped a very slow methodical 1-2 shift at about 2500 rpms. CLearly showed that I wasn't causing the problem. Mine only occurred on the first or second 1-2 shift after the car sat for several hours and the trans was cool. Once normal operating temp was reached is shifted normally. I went through 3 gearboxes, clutch, throwout bearing, the master cylinders, and changed the fluid. Never figured out if it was a 2nd gear synchro problem with the factory gearbox, or if something was wrong with my car's drivetrain. In the end, they gave up, and I traded it for a new DCT fitted car.