07-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #44
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I'm not some radical greeny, but I disagree with the assertion that small choices we make son't add up to a very big difference. The stock M3 emits over 1 lb. of CO2 per mile. That's to say nothing about NO2 and HCs. Catalaysts are effective at reducing all three pollutants by up to 90%.

Car and Driver called the catalytic converter one of the century’s 10 best automotive breakthroughs and the Society of Automotive Engineers selected the catalytic converter as one of the automobile industry's 10 greatest achievements over the past 100 years.

Car enthusiasts ought to be aware that we are under increasing regulations and scrutiny. Deliberately bypassing effective devices that have limited impact on performance is counterporductive to our goals.

To say you shouldn't be concerned because we are all screwing things up is a pretty narrow view, to say the least.

I'll get off my soap box, and that's all I have to say.

Edit: The reason I'm so sensitive to this is, as an architect, we are trained to reduce the impact of building on the environment, which translates to all kinds of impacts. My professional organization has the goal of making buildings self-sustaining with no impact or use of off-site resources by 2030, which is technically achievable for many buildings.
+2.
Appreciate 0