11-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #1032
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post

This makes me wonder the following. Suppose one of the octane guys blows his motor 50 miles after his warranty expires. The motor blew by throwing a rod out the side of the block and owner picks up the pieces and finds that the connecting rod big end is blue. Which is going to be more likely from the guy who doesn't believe that these clearances are an issue:

The guy stays silent and pays for his own motor believing that the mere presence of low octane gas in his country is the most likely cause of his blown motor and blue connecting rod.

OR

The guy goes into BMW and says "you bastards, we all know you have too little oil clearance and this is well documented and I can point you to the articles and proof. I really think you should replace my motor under a good will gesture."
Why would someone who lives in a low octane state (i.e. 91) not also go to BMW and say "you bastards, you produced an engine that was supposed to allow usage of 91, and yet my engine blew using it.

I'm not sure why there's this dichotomy (there's that word again) that low clearance means BMWs fault and detonation means BMW is off the hook. They still stated that 91 was acceptable, and if it were to turn out that 91 in warm weather states leads to too much detonation,and then a blown engine, I'd still consider that to be BMW's problem. Right now I'm more interested in trying to find a cause that fits the data than try to assign blame.