Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
Yes, I'm very aware of the 296 issue. I think I have read every post on the Z4 forum. Thanks for the heads up.

I have never had such a hard time making a decision before, this is harder for me than buying my home. The big problem is that all three cars are great, they all have their pro's and cons. I also find that they are not directly comparable. Anyway, I don't want to get off topic here, this thread is not about me not being able to make a decision.
Let us know what you find in the end, most important you have to post some pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowest_Frequency View Post
Wow, what a great thread!
Why thank you ... I thought it would bring out some great stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosholoza View Post
I am only home on weekends, so my wife does most of the daily driving, I use the car for fun!
I owned a beautiful guards red Porsche Cayman S (generation 1), I loved that car (what a driving machine), and my wife even more so (very cool looking, great image). The engine blew - the inherent oiling problem gen 1 Caymans have when pushed hard on a track - and Porsche would not replace it under warranty. So I sold it with the busted engine, wife was distraught!
She left to go overseas (to help her mother with medical issues), and her last words as she left were "now don't go an buy another car while I am away", "absolutely, my Dear!"
48 hours later the M3 was in the garage!
It was between a Cayman R, and this M3 (E92, ZCP, DCT, loaded, AW). I decided to go with the best that BMW has rather than the best Cayman (as long as its slower than a 911). The salesman gave me a killer deal too.
The trick was not letting the cat out of the bag for 2 1/2 months...
This was waiting when she opened the garage door after returning from overseas.
After 3 months this is her view:
"at first a bit disappointed with the cerb appeal vs the Porsche, but now I love it, can't wait to drive it. I love the comfort, the sound system, all the electronics, and the POWER!"

I am loving the car too - only 2 rainy track days so far. Track days at Sebring scheduled this weekend, hopefully it will be dry.
the M3 kinda grows on you does it now ... great choice in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
That's what my wife said as well. I started the search in May looking at Porsche 911 C2S Cab. I didn't involve her in my decision making and it led to many "heated" discussions between the two of us. We don't have any kids yet but plan on starting a family soon. Fast forward 5 months later, Which led to the M3 E90 that I picked up last month.

I was looking at used until my CPA said that I can write off much more on a lease then a used car, hence the lease. I plan on buying the car in 3 years when the lease ends.

After driving 500 miles back with the car from So Cal to Nor Cal, my wife says she feels "tricked". She says it's really a sports car with 4 doors. My response
In the end you found the right car how great is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Same here, except I ordered one.....wife knew I wanted the car since I could drive, so after 17 yrs. she figured I had waited long enough told me to finally go do it. She was so happy for me, as was my entire family because they knew what my cars means to me.

Cheers,
e46e92
Long wait only it feels so sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Just think what would have happened if you'd gotten a Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqsmooth View Post
Well, I've been lusting after the M3 since the e46 model. Talked the ears off of friends who would listen about the car. When I finally decided it was time, I didn't tell a soul, not my family nor my friends. I ordered and waited.

Took a train down to the dealership that's out of state to pick up the car. Didn't tell my dad that I was bringing a car. Just showed up with it.

My friends were shocked when I showed up with the car. It was such an emotional purchase because a)had the same car for 8+years and b) I had never bought a car on my own, let alone an M3 before.

It's rather sad really. I'd have enjoyed shopping for it with someone else. If I was married, it would have been quite an experience to make the decision together and pick up the car together. I know it's not that simple sometimes(you married guys are probably rolling your eyes at me). I hope to do an ED with my future spouse. I guess I'm ready to take the plunge.

Now that I have THE car. I just need a nice lady to share it with.
Great story. Keep my fingers crossed that you find that sweet lady on some sunny day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
I paid in gum
Hope that works out for you ... don't get stuck on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
thats what i did! check out the link in my sig

best experience EVER
Thanks for sharing ... wonderful pictures you must have had a wonderful time. I try to get back home every 2 to 3 years or so ... always go first class on Air Miles ... best of luck on your next trip and ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
My wife has been saying for years that she wants to take a trip to Europe but she never had a specific destination in mind. Last year a friend of mine bought a Corvette and told me about the option for museum delivery. He didn't do it because it is an option with an extra charge and he was able to negotiate a much better deal on a car off the lot. That reminded me of something I read about years ago about picking up a BMW in Germany.

After a little research I found (to my surprise) that the European Delivery price was far cheaper than the same car off of the lot. That combined with the 2 for 1 plane tickets, the 2 weeks of insurance and registration, and I was sold.

Said to my wife "I found us the ULTIMATE European vacation." I described the places we would be going and the things we would be doing and she was instantly excited. When she asked how we would get to all of these places I said, "we will drive in a brand new, fresh off the assembly line BMW M3."

The M3 has been at the top of my realistic dream car list for a long time but never could get myself to pull the trigger. It's not that we can't afford it, it's just a lot to spend on a car. The discount for ED and the opportunity to drive it around Europe is what sold us. It was the by far the best vacation we've ever been on, we absolutely love the car, and we are already talking about our next ED (summer of 2014).
It is the best way to spend a vacation on the Autobahn and back roads of Germany a lot of history there ... you should check out (DW.COM) Deutsche Welle it is a TV Station in English and German ... they have a weekly program called "Discover Germany" on Sundays in English it takes you to many vacation spots. If you have cable or satellite you can add the channel for $5-/Month a great investment for some super commercial free shows. check it out on ===>CLICK to open the link here

You can also check out Discover Germany the Travel Guide ===>On the Internet CLICK to open the link ... have fun planning

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-03-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0