View Single Post
      04-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #66
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
Right...well, imo --- need to have a very good handle on car control with stock suspension and street tires...then car control AT THE LIMIT with stock suspension and street tires...before you start adding suspension, tires, brakes into the mix.

Jumping to heavily track prepped or race car slows your progress IMO. The more capable the car, the more capable the driver should be.

I would recommend to the OP to do a handful of auto-x days if he hasn't already. While Autox driving is generally much choppier than on track, it does acquaint you with the limits of the car quickly. Granted, sideways at 45mph is different than at 90mph...but better than nothing.
Good advice - thanks. I started in stock E92 - did a few events. Bought the E46 a did a few more on stock tires. Quite honestly, traction control was really masking a lot of my bad habits. While not practical to go backwards with respect to car mods, I have reset my own internal expectations. I have a PCA PDS next week that focuses on car control in an AutoX type of environment.
Appreciate 0