View Single Post
      05-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #69
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindajatt1 View Post
As the Title States, I will soon be in the Market for a new car, as of now I drive a fully Loaded 335i, I have always wanted an M, but the temptation for the GTR is too great and I'm heavily leaning towards it, My conceren is that I do not know much about the GTR, but I am currently doing alot of research. Wanted to get some opinions from M3 driver's who might have gone through this similar situation, Why would you take the M3 over a GTR?
I sold my Audi RS4 last August and have been looking for my next car for the past several months. I have researched and test driven MANY cars during this time including the GTR.

Here's what I concluded. If you simply want the baddest ride in the land, get the GTR, no questions asked. The thrust of this car is astounding. Grip is also out of this world. The looks are subjective. I don't think it is ugly, but is isn't exactly pretty either. It is almost a bit caricature like in appearance. For example, it has one exhaust pipe which then turn into four 5" diameter tips. The GTR, however, is all function and NO form. It is a beast, but has zero sex appeal.

By this, I mean the following:

1. the interior layout is very choppy and not well thought out. It has a 80's retro look to it which IMO is not good.

2. The car makes also sorts of weird and unpleasant noises. The turbos are very loud and the transmission makes clunking and grinding noises which are "normal" but are almost embarrassing on a car of this caliber.

3. The engine feels harsh and has no pleasing sound or feel to the powerband

4. The exhaust note just plain sucks.

5. The ride is very harsh even compared to the many aftermarket suspensions I have owned on various cars over the years.

I chose the M3 due to its gorgeous styling, and subjective qualities. For me, the M3 is fast enough and handles well enough. It has a more upscale and cleaner interior design. It is more comfortable and yet is razor sharp in its responsiveness. The way the engine revs is just so seductive. It has a certain elegance. The GTR is like a rhinoceros-powerful and brutal. It is a Japanese muscle car with no refinement whatsoever. The M3 is like a tiger: strong but sleek and sexy too.