View Single Post
      03-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #397
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Thought I would share my experience changing the oil for the first time on the car, clear up some inconsistencies found in the thread. Also a question at the end.

Purchased a standard oil change kit, with the newer BMW Twin Turbo power oil (10w60).

Drained both sumps for about 30 minutes until there was only drips coming out of the rear one.

Used some shop towels to sop up all the oil I could get out the of the oil filter housing. Torqued the drain plugs to 25NM. Both plugs are a 6mm allen head bolt. Torque spec is 25NM. Not 10NM, not 18, 25NM. There is incorrect info at some point in the thread about this. Its actually two posts up. I think those torque specs are for totally different bolts. Whoever hand wrote those in wrote in the wrong thing, plain and simple. The manual does say 25NM for the drain plugs. Both are M6 bolts. None of them are a M8.

Added about half a liter of new oil into the oil filter housing so pressure would build faster on the initial startup after the change. Torqued the oil filter housing cap to 40NM. My car is a 2012, and it says the spec on the oil filter cap. So that TSB about changing the torque specs from 25NM to 40NM for the oil filter housing was totally legit.

Added about 8 liters of oil into the engine (keep in mind I've got about half a liter in the oil filter housing already) to make for a total of 8.5L of oil in the engine.

Started the car up, pulled it outside and waited for the oil to come up to temp so I could see what the oil level was at. Once it did, it informed me the oil level was AT the minimum and I should add 1 quart. (interesting i drive says quarts and not liters despite the oil only being sold in liters)

I shut the car off, and add the remaining half liter of oil, for a total of 9 liters in the engine. (despite the capacity being 8.8L). Start the car up again, and the thing still tells me I need to add a quart of oil.

Perplexed as to how I can be so down on oil, I drive the car home and let it sit 15 minutes. I start it up again, and the oil level now reads halfway between minimum and maximum. I took the car for a spirited drive, to see if the level would jump to max. After restarting the car, there was no difference, it was still in the middle.

So what do you guys think? Should I actually add some oil? This electronic sensor is truly a piece of shit. The car needs a dipstick.
Appreciate 0