View Single Post
      06-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

I was thinking about this over lunch ... let me know what you think lucid.

I'm questioning whether the damping coefficient really matters or not when we swap out springs. When we swap in springs they're typically shorter in length and have a higher spring rate. By higher I'm guessing a higher spring rate means it's requires more force for the spring to travel x distance than it would for the stock spring to travel x distance.

Anyway ... say we have 2 identical spring lengths with different spring rates (stock springs A and higher spring rate B). When a spring has a higher spring rate why would that cause more wear than the lower spring rate? Say A & B drive over the same bump at the same speed resulting in the same amount of total force exerted on the system and X amount of travel for A and Y amount of travel for B. Is it safe to say that X will be greater than Y? I would have thought yes.

So if X > Y the dampers travel less for the higher spring rate. How does this cause premature wear on them? I can understand how it could if the springs are shorter and the average travel location on the dampers is different. Maybe I'm missing something.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0