View Single Post
      08-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Yes. You can't even compare walking to running.

This is why H.I.I.T. (high intensity interval training) is so effective. In a nutshell, it's a simple process of going balls out for ~10 mins...running as fast as you can for say a minute, then jogging for another minute, and repeat. After 10 mins, you should be dying. However this burns a lot of calories and will continue to do so for the rest of the day and into the next day.

An example is this: anyone can train to run a marathon....fat or skinny, doesn't matter. However to run a short distant race, you have to be in a very good shape.

To the OP...can you really stay at 8-9 MPH for the entire 3 miles? If so, that's pretty good. At my gym, I never see anyone go that fast aside from a very few. People always stare at me like I'm crazy when I go balls out.

Another option is this: Since most treadmills don't exceed 12 MPH (and some people can sprint higher than that thus not making H.I.I.T. possible on a treadmill), you can do a similar variation.....

Run at the highest speed for say, 45 seconds - 1 minute. And for the next minute, lower the speed to half of that to recover. Then repeat for about 10 minutes. I guarantee you will be dying after it's all said and done.

You can modify the time intervals accordingly as you progress as well.
anyone can run a marathon? please, you obviously havnt run many. i cant count the number of "in shape" guys i run into, who can sprint for short distances, but cant complete a 20 mile foot march with 50 lbs on their back, let alone run a marathon. yeah if you count running 15 minute miles, maybe anyone can run a marathon
Appreciate 0