View Single Post
      07-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Cool My clear bra install on a Silverstone Metallic E90 Civic

So in the past week, forum member "Red_Baron" and I spent a good part of 3 nights installing a 3M clear bra onto my car. The bra is a 3M Ventureshield precut for the partial front clip. The length covers up to, but not including the hood dome.

Here are some pics of mostly post install:

The cleanest my car will be for a while, a comprehensive wash, clay, and partial wax:

Red_Baron going over the details:

The Good: Clean Fender and Hood Install, 95%-98% of the bumper is clean and smooth :

The Ugly: Given it's our first time working with the 3M material, and while Red Baron has extensive experience working with vinyl, we did experience some technical difficulties. Minor overlap and ripping:

Bumper was already chipped in some areas, I didn't sand down any of it, so some parts are not 100% smooth and b/c we installed the bumper and lights on day one, we worked way too fast and we overlooked some parts and left some air bubbles (but for the most part, large bubbles can be minimized post install with a pin and more "blending" of material. Dark spots on the photo are cloud reflections, not imperfections, picture really can't capture the details of the minor imperfections:

Pic whoring time! Car won't be any cleaner than this, soak it up! :

Props to Red Baron and my wife for all the time spent doing this project, this one took a lot longer than anticipated, but the results exceeded my expectations!

Props to forum member Raja_Ventureshield for all the after sales support! I texted you like 100 times for tips, thanks again!

Next steps:
I still have wrap my mirrors and a few extra areas around the wheel arches. I also have to trim and tuck the excess material for the final finishing touches.

Lessons learned: if you're super anal and a perfectionist, don't do this yourself, you'll likely fuck it up, and you'll feel like shit afterwards. Leave it to a professional. You'll need a serious detail beforehand, if you have preexisting chips, you'll likely want to do something about it and someone who has a lot of experience, time, and means to re-cut film.

If you're a DIY, and like me, want to learn this process, save money, spend time with friends, sweat like a dog in a super hot garage, and can accept some imperfections, then follow the few DIYs online, and make sure you have another person or two to give you a hand with the large pieces. Let me know if you want me to share with you the DIY threads on this. No matter how you do this, you can't simply read the DIY, you just need hands-on experience to really know how to do it, it's partially art, partially science, and takes a lot of patience.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-14-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0