View Single Post
      07-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Thumbs up My Swift Spec-R Review: Street & Track

Just came from the track and finally I can complete this review. Thanks to Harold @ HP Autowerks (Parts) and ACM again for their great installation and tuning.

On the Street… (EDC)

Height is great for everyday driving (one finger gap - front vs. two and change before), and it’s very street-able. All EDC modes are usable like ZCP springs:
*Comfort is unchanged except in turns where roll was greatly reduced.
*Normal is tighter and in turns exhibits significant less roll.
*Sport is tight and extremely well tuned. Swift seems to have focused most on this mode.

Unlike my KW Sleeves, these springs do not rattle the dash on sharp bumps and don’t experience any significant “bounce” that I’ve experienced with other linear spring set-ups. Even on Sport, it’s well dampened as OEM, but because it’s stiff / tighter it tracks the road undulations much closer than OEM.

Why do these perform differently vs. other linear springs? As the rates are similar to others, I guess I chalk it up to the material and coiling method Swift uses that alters the way compression and rebound behave. Honestly, that sounded like marketing BS in the beginning but maybe it’s actually a benefit?

On the Track…

The springs did its job; it reduced roll in high-speed turns, hairpins, etc. I immediately noticed the ability to drive faster into turns, track out, and apply throttle earlier. Even during opposite lock, the experience was more predictable and responsive to throttle modulation. Also, the car is now geared to oversteer vs. understeer, unlike before. Did I shave some seconds? some, but I believe the reduced roll just simply gave me more confidence to go faster into and out of turns.

However, coils would perform better, so these are not a replacement.

Alignment Specs
I went with relatively neutral alignment specs. -1.9 (F) / -1.9 (R) Camber, Neutral Front Toe, +1/8 Rear Toe In . No camber plates, just pulled the suspensions pins. I think the front might be -2.0 flat with me in the car.

Net, I think these springs represent how the ZCP springs should have come from the factory; tuned to the upper limits of the dampers/ enthusiast focused set-up. Get these if you want to keep the M3 as a daily driver, but track every so often.

Name:  4th pict.jpg
Views: 9679
Size:  267.0 KB

Name:  20130720_080346.jpg
Views: 10240
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  20130720_080747.jpg
Views: 10926
Size:  158.9 KB

Name:  20130725_103910.jpg
Views: 9857
Size:  161.3 KB

Last edited by S65V8; 08-20-2013 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 1