12-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
You already know this, but CF leather has nothing to do with carbon fiber, it is just a name BMW gave it because of the small resemblance. now if it were actually carbon fiber i could understand your argument about being poser-ish, but i'm not sure you'd feel the same way about it had BMW given it a different name. I think it is popular because it is unique to the M3 and because its something new. IMO, wood trim does not belong on the M3. the aluminum silver brushed gray whatever its called, however, is a good option.
Indeed I do know this. Interior trim just like all matters of aesthetics are 99% personal and a matter of opinion. And that being said, IMHO, making leather look anything like CF is bad and calling it anything like CF is even worse. Popular and unique certainly does not equal good. I do agree with you that wood does not belong in an M3 either. Once again we are "victims" of BMW moving the car "upscale" a bit compared to the role of the 3er in the past. Sorry if you have/will choose CF and you feel at all insulted by my poser claim, perhaps a bit strong but some truth I think, to each their own on trim choice.
Appreciate 0