12-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #123
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Nice, but lets share a little bit more data shall we? Here we have a r8 4.2 v8 vs a e92 m3 a ton of tests on different tracks shows a very slight edge to the m3 in acceleration however the r8 manages to beat the m3 in a lot of cases by at least 2 or 3 seconds around almost 30 different tracks. Now I am very impressed that you can keep up with your buddy in his r8 maybe he's just toying with you or he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. I have both an m3 and an r8 and I drive them back to back all the time. The r8 simply has more grip and is the better balanced car. The v8 r8 will handily beat an m3 on almost any track by a significant margin, the v10 will absolutely demolish it.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/a...mw_m3_e92.html
Ok, I doubt that this is where OP wanted the thread to go, but since we're still loosely on subject.

Retrace our conversation. Focus like a laser beam buddy. I never said that the M3 is faster than an R8 (V8 or V10) on track. I also didn't say that the M3 is a superior handler. What I said is that it's very close through the turns, especially if the M3 has upgraded tires (RS3s, AD08s, or better). That was the extent of my claim. You think I'm in fantasy land because you drive them back to back and the R8 feels more balanced and planted, presumably daily driving on the roads of LA, which is no surprise. So you've had the R8 for how long? How many track sessions? How many lead-follow sessions with an E9X M3?

The lightning lap data posted above is the most relevant to our conversation because it shows sector times involving corners. Again, very close with an edge overall to the R8.

But the fastest laps data also demonstrates my point. With a 2-3 second gap (~1 second on many tracks) between the R8 V8 and the M3, you can begin to see why I say it's close in handling, especially if the M3 has sticky tires. And since the R8 V8 is actually a superior handling car due to less weight, my claim that it's CLOSE through the corners between the M3 and R8 V10 all of a sudden makes a whole lot of sense to you, right??

If you wanted to come on the forum and talk about how your car destroys M3s in the handling department you punched the wrong ticket fella. Should have kept your GT3, GTR, or went with a Lotus.

Appreciate 0