View Single Post
      08-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

First, I'm really sorry to read this. Nobody should have to endure that experience.

Second, I think a follow up phone call to the police, especially if you have the officer's names, etc. can't hurt. I'm not an attorney and can't begin to give you legal advice but I would think that's where you should start.

Third, I mean no disrespect to anyone here but... I think you're getting some bad advice here mixed with some good advice. Self defense is always a good idea and I would never tell anyone to not pursue training. But it isn't an end all/be all solution. There's always going to be someone bigger, someone stronger, someone faster, or someone who is hgh on meth and no matter what you do, won't go down. Your best course of action and advice that every good martial artist I've ever met shared, is to avoid a fight if at all possible. Training will help if you get to that point, but good training helps you never get there. That being said, the martial arts are excellent for your body, your mind, and your general well being so there's no downside (other than time and $) to pursuing an art. Just don't expect a few hours a week of training to turn you into the crap you see on the movies.

I don't advise you to begin carrying a concealed weapon (unless you have a permit in CA... good luck with that). The chances of you experiencing this ever again in your life are very, very small unless you go looking for trouble. Unless you really know what you're doing with a knife or gun, you're likely to end up in more trouble than it's worth and I personally think (again no offense intended) that a lot of people who carry end up with a false sense of security and/or bravado.

Ask yourself this, had you pulled a knife would that have stopped your attackers? If not, would your killing one or both of them feel ok with you vs. feeling the aches and pain you feel today? Only you can answer those questions. I firmly believe you have the right, and should, protect yourself and your loved ones and there are times when a gun or knife might be called for. Is this one? Only you can answer that.

Finally, I hope you feel better soon and find some resolution.
Appreciate 0