United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wood View Post
Congrats on the arrival of your F30! Looks GREAT! How was the Corral at COTA? I wish I could've been there
Well...the Corral was pretty much a non-event. No hospitality tents, no organized parking, other than grouping most of the same marques in the same area, but what we didn't know was that there were 8 more car clubs that got the same offer! We thought it'd be just us BMW guys in Lot B, but there were Benzes, Audis, and others in the same general area, separated by maybe a row or two. I was a "point of contact", but after the lap tickets were handed out, that was pretty much it. It was very cold and windy, and then when we got halfway around the track on the parade lap, they diverted us off, giving us only a half-lap.

Not sure what COTA had in mind as a corral, but they kept suggesting we have someone in the parking area handing out "info" (not sure what - we didn't have any, so maybe CCA membership apps?) and directing people. After paying for 2 tickets and parking, I sure as heck wasn't going to miss any of the activities while freezing my a$$ off in the parking lot, nor was anyone else. The close-in parking was great, the passes to get in the paddocks and meet the drivers were ok as well, but all in all, none of that was related to the "Corral" as we know it in the CCA. Look in Roundel magazine for articles about Corrals at other major events and they're totally different. They even suggested we bring our own tents, tables, and chairs, although there really wasn't anywhere to put them, especially considering the weather.

I think COTA is still in learning mode, so other than the parking and the lap (if you were lucky enough to get one), you didn't miss much. Sitting in the stands, even with the sun shining, was uncomfortable with the cold wind. Lots of walking to do if you wanted different vantage points or to visit the paddock area, etc. Hopefully, next time will be better.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0