02-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
If you have a vert, you may be limited in who will let you track the car without a roll bar fixed.

You are right about the vert. There are however a few groups that will allow me on the track!

The helmet should be snug enough that the skin on your forehead moves when you move it up and down or left to right without the strap tightened. If this means that your jaw hurts, try a different model. Any "hotspots" will just get worse in the heat and excitement of driving. Some model have different pad sizes to make a mroe custom fit.

Also, you don't need to spend $800 on a helmet. It just needs to meet the current Snell safety requirements
Thanks for the clarification on the fit...I will try what you suggest. I never thought about different pads either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Different brand's have different shapes. It is best to find the brand that fits the shape of your head. The helmet should not move around on your head when you bob and turn your head without the chin strap fastened. If you find that your jaw hurts, it may be too tight on the sides of your head, in which case the helmet shape may be too narrow for your melon head. I have a big ol' round head and I find Bell helmets to fit comfortably. Try to find a helmet shop that carries different brands so you can try out the shapes.
Haha, I do have a melon head. I felt like I was still wearing that helmet for an hour after I took it off. I really went out looking for a Bell helmet as that's what another member suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
You should also wear them about 30 minutes before purchasing one. Any issues will pop up in that amount of time. Some helmets also have adjustments that can be made by swapping out the pads for different thicknesses. Don't skimp out on a skid lid, it's protecting the most important part of you!
By skid lid you mean helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
Like Purple said, try a different brand.

Back when I rode a motorcycle I went thru 5 helmets before I found one that fit perfectly. Each brand seems to have a slightly different shape. I found Bell and Shoei to be too narrow for my head and ended up with an Arai that I loved.

You might want to find a good motorcycle shop near you. They typically stock a decent collection of helmets and you can try them on. Also, don't be afraid to take it home and sit on the couch in it a bit to make sure you like it.

For the track it might be a little less critical than on a bike given the length a wear, etc, but it's still important that your helmet fit properly.

Don't feel like you need to spend $800, but also don't cheap out.
I'm going to hit up a motorcycle shop this week. I only tried on the open face helmets as they were SO uncomfortable, I was sure I would die of claustrophobia in a full faced helmet. Hopefully, I will find a full faced helmet that's comfortable!

Thank you all so much for the information. It was really helpful!

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0