Thread: M3's alter ego
View Single Post
      10-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #24
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I do not think the m3 or other "gas guzzlers" are as bad as people sometimes assume.

I have owned a couple six cylinder bmw's in the past, including an e90 and around the city in any stop and go driving, such as most bigger cities, my milage was consistently 14-15 mpg. Stop and go is brutal on any type of engine and does not really vary unless you drive a diesel which even then is terrible.

On the highway you can get 30mpg cruising in a 328 with 240hp at 70mph or get 23-24 mpg cruising at 70 with 414 hp in the m3. 5-6 less mpg on the freeway is really nothing in the scheme of things. Its different if we got 12-15mpg on the highway cruising but if you have a long freeway drive with good traffic flow than you can get a solid 24 mpg cruising at a good speed of 70. I agree I do not personally get that very often but I also do not care to conserve fuel.

I consider fuel as part of my "entertainment" money each month instead of spending money on alcohol or cigarettes or gambling or whatever others choose to spend their money on who do not like to drive their cars.
Appreciate 0