View Single Post
      02-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
With all due respect, I sincerely think alarms are useless.

I had alarms in all of my cars to the date. Not any more - my M3 didn't get one (and it is the most valuable car I owned).

What does the alarm not do:
1. Protect against junkies smashing windows to steal things from the cabin. I had windows of 2 of my cars smashed in the past with the CD player gone in no time, no one noticed, "no one saw anything".

2. Protect against vandalism.

3. Discourage professionals to steal the car as a whole. Like it was said above, the car can go in no time. There are many many ways, cars even get lifted without thiefs bothering to break in! They do this in peace at a remote place. And if you ask how can this be, well it has happened several times when people using crane trucks that looked like police trucks removing cars due to "illegal parking"!!

What does the alarm do:
1. At best case give some warning for the car being vandalised / broken into. Even then usually there is no time for you to react (you aren't close by, you don't hear the alarm etc). Even if there is time to react, would you want to be confronted with the guys doing this? What will you achieve with this, go kick their ass? So what, damage is done anyways plus you run the risk of being injured! Just claim under the insurance (which is what you would do anyways) and get over it!

2. Breaks the balls of the neighbours when alarms sound until the battery is drained!

My conclusion (could be wrong): All issues mentioned above are solved by parking the car in a safe place, by full insurance cover, and by not leaving belongings in the cabin. I want to assume that everybody takes these basic precautions for their M3s anyways, so why have an alarm?

Insurance companies give discounts to people with alarms for one reason ... They have STATISTICS that show a car with an alarm is less likely to be vandalised/stolen/broken into.

I agree that a determined thief will not be deterred but it will definately be enough to substantiate having the alarm.

I personally would not want anyone playing around with my M3 for an aftermarket alarm. The Factory alarm is extremely good and Im glad it came with it!
Appreciate 0