Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

You totally made that word up. It's pretty cool though.
Sorry, but I cannot take credit for the word creation. We tend to use "automotive" in English when automobilistic could be used as well. We do ride in automobiles afterall.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

A major consideration of engine configuration is the engines balance and efficiency. Cross plane V8s like the M3 are naturally quite balanced. V6s are both poorly balanced thus require extra gear driven balancing and are less efficient than I6 because of that and the entire extra head and valve system. Since BMW has had no production engines ever in this configuration it is extremely unlikely. I6 is the most efficient and balanced engine configuration around. The only real drawback is its long length, making it typically unsuited to a FWD application.
Of the two -- V6 & I6 -- the latter would be easier to stomach than the former. Regardless, anything that's a six is a step backward from an eight IMHO, and I doubt that BMW will bother to incorporate enough of the tech that it has in house into any six that will make all of us forget about the S65.