08-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #61
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I think this is just a subjective thing that we could argue endlessly.
Yeah, everything relating to cars is subjective. Too many variations of what is important to each individual for everyone to agree.

Quote:
It comes down to how much weight you give to performance and how much to luxury. My opinion is if people don't think performance is that big of a deal they should just buy XFs, 550is, or E550s(all of which still perform well).
Don't totally agree with you here and I will explain why.

Not everyone who buys an M, RS, AMG or R buy them solely for performance but because they are either the pinnacle of their respective ranges or possibly because they happen to have to desired look, equipment, etc that just isn't available with the normal range. It may surprise everyone the amount of people who never think of taking their cars to a trackday or even test it's true potential.

Now I know almost everyone on this and every other forum won't be like that but then these forums are only a small cross section of the people who buy these cars.

Quote:
When you cross into Ms, AMGs, RSs, and -Rs luxury and comfort are less important. I have not been in the XFR but I have driven the M5 (i bought an M6 instead) and an E63. I thought the Merc and BMW were close enough in refinement that performance would be the deciding factor in a purchase. So since I haven't driven an XFR and you have but thought an E63 was better I can only assume that I'd probably prefer both German vehicles over the Jag.
I would agree on the smaller M3 type models but these ones being debated here are for the fat cats of business and they generally want the best of all worlds, be it performance and luxury, in any case why should we have to compromise, I guess that is Jaguar's belief and in their XFR that is exactly what you get, it all but matches the M5 on the track yet it far superior in every other way.

Having driven both the M5 and XFR I can assure you that the XFR is far more refined than the M5. In fact at 90mph it's got less engine, wind and tyre noise than my M3 had at 50mph and I would rate my M3 with it's 18" rims to be better than the M5 I drove.

May I suggest a proper test drive in the XFR, something longer than a brief blast around the block. If you don't come away very impressed then we will never see eye to eye of this subject.

Quote:
Having stated all that I'm glad the guy likes Jaguar, there's nothing wrong with that. I just think this "Jaguar blows German car away" attitude is as absurd as it's untrue.
On this I am at one with you, I would never say that Jaguar is better than all German cars, it may have the odd model which happens to be better in my opinion but that's just because it happens to suit my requirements, to someone else things will be different and their opinion will reflect that.

I think he's only putting every one's chain and looking at the replies he's been getting I think he's getting his desired result.
Appreciate 0