11-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
Not an excuse,I'm just telling it like it is.That's the way it was designed apparently.You gotta complain to the engineering team about that.I drive the car like it likes to be driven,with a bit of urgency.And enjoy it for what it is,no complaints here.

I used to own a 997 gt3,I'm well aware of the good and bad attributes of both transmissions.The M3's transmission has it's own character,and as a driver you gotta adapt and learn to use the system to your liking.

No car out there is perfect and neither is DCT.
True...

When I owned my 6MT M3 (2010 model) the transmission was far from "bad" but was a disappointment relative to the car overall. That is what bugged me because it was the only part of the car I didn't love ALL of the time. I didn't notice it when I was at the track (like you said relative to pushing the car) but I did notice it around town. If the engineers designed it to only perform when pushed hard, IMO that is still a design flaw because it did NOT need to be designed that way. But, like I said, it isn't really "bad" per se just not great like the rest of the car.

Let's not make this into a DCT vs. 6MT thread but there is little to nothing wrong with the DCT today (other than personal preference for a 6MT). It is pretty flawless in operation and function in my experience. Not for everyone because some love the 6MT, perceived greater involvement, etc, but for what it is intended to do it is pretty close to perfect IMO. You don't hear many people ever complain about the DCT or its operation whereas many complain about the 6MT's notchiness, grinding into 2nd and clutch engagement. Again this is NOT a DCT vs 6MT comment but, if you look at them in complete isolation the DCT functions near perfectly today (minor if any complaints from users) whereas the 6MT has a lot of complaints relative to its operation. The DCT use to have issues as we all know but they have all be rectified for years now.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 11-12-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0