View Single Post
      01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma View Post
This may be just hog wash but I thought improper break in would be a factor in the culprit of oil burning in the engine. There was a post not to long ago about people burning oil and somehow it detracted to how people broke in their engines. People who properly broke in their engine seemed less susceptible to the car drinking a QT of oil every 1000 miles or so. Again, this is just an inference with no scientific backing but rather just reading the threads that relate to this and talk on a different forum. I'm sure there are varying reasons why there is a break in period on the engine as well as the clutch and so forth. I know most performance clutches for my old P car had a break in period for it to mate correctly and give it the best possible life/grip.

In my case, I just did my last oil change without a single drop of add-on oil nor a change in the oil meter after driving 4000 miles. Most of which were only spirited drives.

I don't think it should be reasons to void the warranty. I'm sure no one will tell their dealer they have. Just a thought.
Have actually heard the opposite and that if not driven hard during break in, pistons don't seal right, you lose more oil. Not saying which is right, just that there are many answers to this question and many threads and I violated my break-in quite a bit and have never had an oil issue.