View Single Post
      12-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #290
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haen View Post
What do you mean it produces proportional power to the motor it is based on? Proportional in what regard? More importantly, give the whole HP/liter concept a rest. You have failed to bring any new information to the discussion and constantly refer to this single aspect of engine design.

Why would BMW (or any manufacturer) put exotic, expensive, high strength components in an engine if they didn't have to? BMW is in the business of making money and no company gives stuff away for free.

You said "If the parts are stronger, what makes you think they are more stressed?". You have the concept backwards. The parts have to be stronger because of the increased stress placed on them from spinning at a higher RPM. Let's work with an example to make this clearer. Imagine one of the pistons in your M3. It is changing directions 6,000 times a minute when your engine is spinning at 3,000 RPM. When you raise the engine speed to 6,000 RPM, the piston is changing direction 12,000 times a minute. Does it not make sense to you that there is more stress on a piston changing directions 16,000 times a minute at 8,000 RPM than another piston changing direction only 12,000 times a minute at 6,000 RPM. If this concept doesn't make sense to you, you need to take high school physics again, pay extra attention to the chapter on reciprocating mass.
Basic math escapes you, read over the past posts, if it still doesn't sink in, I am not surprised.

You have the concept backwards. I prefer a car built with the best materials available to set the highest standard. I'm not interested in a car that can get by with cheap cast internals just because it has the displacement and revs of a tractor. I'm exaggerating to get my point across, just in case that escapes you.

Let me make this example clear. The M3 with its 8k+ redline is formidable NA even with its smaller displacement. With a bit of boost, it is ridiculously powerful thanks to its forged internals and wide powerband. Essentially, you can get the best of both worlds. If you want more power or torque, you can get it. You don't need it to compete with what is already out there. BMW shows that they one of the best at building a motor, again and again.

Does it not make sense to you to have the highest quality parts in your motor? Not just what will get by because your motor is a large low tech piece of junk that barely spins and makes its power largely as a function of torque instead of high tech engineering (comparatively speaking)?

You may notice that companies like RUF tend to make their forced induction motors strong not by increasing boost but by making them more efficient, usually in the heads, sometimes going to something higher flowing designed for an NA car like the GT3 heads.

BMW could get rid of a lot of things and simplify the car, make it more fuel efficient, and more practical for people like yourself. Those of use that want the highest quality materials, most advanced transmissions, and engines built to the highest standard, are fine with paying for it and paying for the associated costs.

Why didn't Ferrari stick an LS1 in the 360 modena? Wouldn't the F430 be cheaper, easier, etc. with an LS7?

Formula 1 would be far more entertaining if the cars stuffed in carburated large cubic inch v8's right? I mean, the cars would be cheaper to run. They wouldn't need the same quality of internals, right? You will never understand, some things are just beyond the simple folk.
Appreciate 0