Thread: I'm an IDIOT
View Single Post
      07-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #59
JLausch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

We all screw up, its part of life, you learn from your mistakes, luckily it wasn't something worse and you or others weren't hurt. When i was 17 and borrowing my dads Audi TT (about a year old at the time in 2002) i was hauling ass down empty road in the winter and hit a slick patch on a light bend (some dbag was pumping his basement or something out onto the road and it froze, but had i been going the speed limit i could have controlled it) and that cars dynamics (very short wheelbase and interesting handling), combined with my driving skill, which albeit not horrible, i was not experienced none the less, caused me to panic and when i saw a truck coming it stopped trying to correct and ditched it into a field when i saw an opening between 2 telephone poles. What i didn't realize was that there was a 5 foot drop into said field.... ugh.... makes me cringe thinking about it. I hit so hard that passenger side airbag deployed from the impact into the field, I shoved the LF wheel about a foot into the fender well, chipped 3 of the 4 rims, popped the bead on all 4 tires (but they were fine surprisingly lol) and spun around about 5 times over a distance of about 500 feet as. All in all no cosmetic damage other than the rims and front bumper lip being ripped off, but the total repairs almost hit 20k.... I had a hell of ride home when i called my Dad, but luckily he was happy i was not dead and decided not to kill me himself, but i now think twice before i act like a twat when driving. I was so far off the road that even with the interior lights on (they can't be shut off for x amount of time after an airbag deploys and the 4 ways going, the 3 cops that drove by either didn't see me or didn't think anything of it because i was so far from the road and i didn't get ticketed.... anyway, thats the short version (believe it or not lol). Glad your OK and the damage wasn't worse, we all screw up, thats part of human nature.

I never did anything like that in areas with people around, except for low speed drifting in the snow lol, but it doesn't make it really any better, but even though i thought to do it somewhere remote, it was still moronic.
Appreciate 0