Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
+1

It's quite strange to see people say unless a lip is chassis mounted, it doesn't work. Unless a wing is massive, it doesn't work. I asked myself the very first time I would consider aero, what am I looking for? GRIP. How grip can I achieve without aero. I've always enjoyed watching the lap time the GS class car like the M3 Turner or Fall Line run put down without ANY aero. Yet, at the limit, add aero an I'm sure there are 1-2 more second to be had. Quite interesting what a little time spend researching the physics behind aerodynamins make. A british F1 magazine I read earlier this year explained "mechanical" vs "aerodynamic" grip. The suspension setup of these non-aero car car have is quite impressive.
It always boils down to the driver. Most of us who own E9x M3 know what would be consider a fast time for this platform at most track, the difference is all about skill level. Btw, as far the "GTS wing is not effective" that topic as been beaten to deat, there's an oooold thread about that on here. I guess some of us who didnt do the R & D have to give guys who do a little credit:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431427
GS M3s DO have a rear wing that makes a big difference. Probably less than a second, but greatly increases rear grip and tire longevity which is key to winning races. The M3 never won anything until they got that wing on the E92.
Appreciate 0