Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Long straights. You need to make a trip to Germany; The Nurburgring is 12 miles in length. I ve tracked my car on both the shorter Gp Track and the Nordschleife and only expierenced spalshing on the GP track. How can the headers heat up and boil the fluid? I can cruise all out at 170MPH here in Germany, with motor roaring full tilt on the A bahn. Wouldn't you think highspeed driving on the A-bahn would affect Power steering, if you suspect excess heat from the headers. Just my 2 cents.
I'm just passing along what the BMW said at VIR. Probably it's the combination of long straights a twisties at a track like VIR. It wasn't particularly hot while we were in Virginia in early May. I'm surprised that it's not happening more often at other tracks. In two-days I witnessed it on three or four out of ten or so M3s in our track fleet.

These are BMW performance driving fleet cars, which are driven hard EVERY day, so maybe that makes a difference. We know they're well maintained, but this is indeed happening. The cars ran 20 to 40-minute sessions from about 9 a.m. to 4 p.m, but that's not untypical of a track day for a private car.

Unless this starts happening with some regularity to many customer cars, I doubt that BMW will do anything about it. I don't blame them. Apparently it takes an unusual set of circumstances to cause it. (The damage, not just the spewing).

Dave