View Single Post
      01-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #76
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I've seen complaints like this one - about G35/G37 drivers - now and then for years, but never really understood. I figured it was just a West Coast thing or something.

Well, yesterday, I had my first ever G37 douche-attack.

I was driving in my normal manner, which is to say quickly and enthusiasticly, but I was not bothering anyone nor doing anything disrespectful. There's a stretch of expressway on my commute home where I like to hammer it real hard as soon as I come off the entrance ramp. Now mind you there's usually some other cars in front of me on that ramp so I have to get over to the fast lane as I come off the ramp in order to try to get a clear shot. I always signal when I do this (and any other time I change lanes for that matter), and I never attempt to overtake anyone in front of me that either signals to get over as well, or even makes any movement that could be construed as them preparing to get over ahead of me without properly signaling first. In other words, I give people ample space and time to do what I like to do too if they wish (for whatever reason, I rarely see anyone else get over right away though).

So I did my normal routine - got a clear lane, floored it, and ran it up to 85-90 and let off. But then a couple seconds later I look in my rearview and there's this G37 sedan right on my rear bumper. Now, that sort of behavior - following too close or trying to race or whatever - isn't too rare for me to see, and even though it can be unnerving or annoying, I tend to blow it off (while keeping a close eye to make sure the guy is not going to do anything stupid). After all, sometimes people just want to have a little fun and I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Next, we come up on a slower car so I signal and pass. The G37 stays behind the slower car and slows down, and I leave them behind a few car lengths. A few more seconds go by and then I see the G37 shoot out of its lane and go around the slower car without signaling. Then I notice he is in a huge hurry all of the sudden (gee, I wonder why?), so I signal to get back to the right lane, and the guy quickly jumps into the right lane, again without signaling, and nearly side swipes me as he goes around me, using the right shoulder partially to avoid hitting me. He must have been going 120-130mph easily, and kept on accelerating from there until he nailed his brakes to avoid hitting some heavier traffic ahead.

So apparently his ego got the best of him and he had to prove his manliness. Due to all of the traffic ahead, I eventually caught up. He had now gotten to the right (to exit I assume) and I look over - laughing at his sheer stupidity (can't help myself) - and of course he has this sheepish look on his face. He made a hand motion, and I couldn't tell if it was a middle finger or a wave. But at that point I am thinkng neither one was appropriate since time had long passed for a friendly wave, and if anyone should be flipping the bird it is me.

I'm sure the guy would probably be a dick no matter what he drives, but I have to say that - aside from some similar attacks from guys in pickup trucks and the like - I've never seen anything quite like this one.
Appreciate 0