View Single Post
      08-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you. I have owned multiple Porshes, and my family and friends also own many regular 996s, 997s, 150K 996TTs, Cayennes, etc and we have never experiences ANY of the problems you listed. We have also owned plenty of BMWs (Ms, 3s, 5s, X's) and we have had far more quality problems with the bimmers...had one suspsion totally FAIL! Even my client advisor was in and drove my my Cayman S (as I nearly bought an 09 M3 coupe) and was amazed at how much better the quality and fit and finish were in the Cayman S-and even went on to say it was better than anything they offered in ANY car. And I dont even want to mention how much better he thought the whole package was, save for 'storage space'.
You get what you pay for. There are reasons why Porsches cost more (performance, heritage, quality, etc) and why they consistently outperform bmw in IQS and dependability studies.
Bmw makes a great 'sporty' car that is good for DD'ing, but when it comes down to connected feel, quality & fit and finish, uniqueness, and having a car that is the best sports car ever made, its Porsche (and Ferrari) bar none.
For me, the m3 was good, but couldnt quite cut it. It just isnt fun to drive or anything special unless you ae beating the hell out of it. The handling compared to the Cayman S makes it feel like range rover. Straight line is good, but gets boring and the interior was bland and had too many rattles (on a new 300 miles car).
It *does* come down to preference, but if you want a pure experience, Porsche and Ferrari FTMFT!
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with YOU. I have had 3 BMW's in the past 6 years along with my 04 Cayenne S. This Porsche quality you talk about is nonsense, the reason they cost more is because Porsche makes more money per vehicle, not because the parts are better.

My Cayenne S had the cooling tubes fail last year. The dealer never bothered to call me to tell me that in warm climates the PLASTIC tubes tend to fail past 50,000 miles. They did not bother to tell me before my warranty ran out, on purpose naturally to save themselves cash and make money on me later. I had to get the parts from Germany on my own and had my mechanic install them but a giant pain in the ass. Last week the oil pump failed and one of the injectors gave out.

No issues with any of my BMW's, and BMW service was on top of minor things quick (m3 rear deck rattle, X3 bushings). My X3 felt far more "connected" to the road than the Cayenne and handled much better. Now, I love my Cayenne, but just because it has a Porsche badge does not make it automatically better than any of the X series.

Why even bother to throw Ferrari into the discussion? Hmmm M3 or 612, definite cross shopping going on there. Sorry, but your post just reeks of badge snobbery. The Cayman is a mid engine, sports car. Compare it to an elise and it is the Cayman that starts to seem like a Range Rover. If the E92 M3 is boring you have not driven it, or any m3, properly, period.
Appreciate 0