View Single Post
      06-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #62
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermion View Post
yea, i'm sure saving as many lives as possible was a major concern in tiananmen square and in tibet...

by your logic, the entire world is african as we all descended from there at some point. calling the people in taiwan chinese is like calling the americans english.

taiwan has a totally different culture, government system and even speak chinese with a different accent. taiwan values freedom, democracy and is a thoroughly modern first world country. china values oppression, communist party dictatorship, and the average person earns $3000 a year. i don't understand how people can consider taiwan and china as even remotely the same.
without china, taiwan would crumble. End of story.

And you sir seriously need to educate yourself. The Chinese citizens have been showing a lot of passion and heart in the forms of private donations. Last I heard, there has been 40 billion yuan donated to the disaster area. The execution of the military was as close to perfection as one can get. A disaster head quarter was setup within 2 hrs after the earth quake struck. Supplies and support arrived in truck loads. The people that weren't helped immediately were the ones that are in more rural areas where entire mountains collapsed on top of villages. I know this because my family is from that area and i still have relatives there.

And as for your whole view on the tibetans, everyone's asking for them to free tibet. Did they ever consider what tibet was like before the communist party took over? There was no government, no law, the religion was both government and law. If you were born a lower class you stayed that way. People of low standing that worked for richer people were essentially slaves with no way of getting out. Just thought you know. Just because you can read some editor's opinion on this issue, doesn't mean it is right and it shows the big picture. You should definitely do a little more research on something you feel so strongly about. Open your eyes and no just take other people's word for it.

... alright i'm done.
Appreciate 0