BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post

Anyways, this might seem minuscule to many but I've been curious for awhile here. I mean, if EVERY mailman changed their policy how much gas would be saved? How many more miles/months would the truck fleet be operational before needing to repair/replace the truck? Could millions of mail trucks doing something so simple save the USPS millions of dollars? Would this translate into cheaper operating costs and stamp costs?
While I suspect it may have something to do with what the above poster mentioned, there was an interesting article/report about UPS changing their routes so drivers pretty much only had to make right hand turns - lefts were avoided as much as possible, and the amount of gas and money saved was ridiculous. It was a few years old but I'll see if I can find the link...

Edit: that wasn't very hard http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=3005890&page=1

Quote:
UPS trucks drove 2.5 billion miles last year, but the company says its package flow technology combined with right-turn routes saved 28,541,472 million miles, and three million gallons of fuel. The company puts almost 92,000 trucks on the road every day. But without its efficiency and right-turn routes, it would have to send out an additional 1,100 trucks.
Appreciate 0