03-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #74
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
In my eyes turbo's have not changed. If you put a large turbo on a car ull get that high end power feel that you get from an M car, but at the cost of turbo lag, which EVERY1 hates.

If you put a smaller turbo you get the 335i effect. Turbo lag is non-existant, however, the engine dies at anything above 6500revs.
Look below about Direct Injection in turbos. It allows considerably higher compression ratio's, which helps with the low end torque. There are also variable vane turbos now, which helps the low end and top end. So I would say there's a lot more technology now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This has been a point of criticism all along concerning the throttle response desired in an M engine. However, direct injection will largely mitigate turbo lag, when the two are carefully integrated and matched by BMW M (boy I am sure glad Sticky isn't reading here...). Member enigma has rightfully pointed out that you can't beat physics and the rotational inertia of the turbo fans can not be made to disappear. However, DI cleverness WILL help significantly. Before a large throttle depression the DI system will be operating in a lean burn mode, thus the exhaust gas mass will be higher than that of a port injected engine turbo charged engine. The rpm of the fans can be maintained 2-3x higher! Yes not 50% higher 2-3x! This combined with a rapid shifting DCT transmission for super fast downshifts will go a long way to making the next gen M have very minimal turbo lag and something we will all likely want to drive.
DI does help with the low end torque, but just look at he 335 guys and you'll see the low end torque can still be lacking, especially with the new software/hardware. That lean burn info sounds interesteing, but I've heard it's bad for emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with a V6, sure. But I find a V6 for a BMW a terrible, horrifying and downright ridiculous idea.

Imagine Porsche replacing their flat 6 with a V6 for the next 911... It's kind of the same thing for me with BMW possibly dumping their inline 6.

A V6 for a BMW, any BMW for that matter, is just blasphemy.
I hear you, but Porsche almost went with a V8 for the 996 but then wised up.
And the V6 is inherently a terrible design for an engine given it's not balanced.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0