View Single Post
      07-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #348
Koop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E34 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
It much more complicated than that. They where still using the maps for blowing the diffuser besides the traction control. The FIA is there to keep things fair, its not that they forgot an aspect of the rule. The issue is that Red Bull is distorting the meaning to get an unfair advantage.
There is no use in discussing the matter anymore since it has already been deemed that they where doing something illegal. Of course there will always be Red Bull fans that will be blind...
I don't know that I'd say it's distortion as much as it is interpretation. They were exploiting a loophole that has now been closed, simple as that. Happens ALL of the time. It's not like Red Bull are the big bad guys, other teams look for loopholes to exploit as well!

In my mind, cheating would be explicitly doing something completely against the rules and attempting to hide it. Which does happen from time to time unfortunately. You mentioned that this was clearly deemed cheating, but that's not actually the case according to the stewards. The FIA had to CHANGE the rule to forbid what Red Bull were doing--which means they weren't doing something completely against the rules as they stood previously.

I know it's semantics, but again...exploiting loopholes will always be cheating to some people and not to others.

I don't take a side either way. I just think it's an important discussion to have.

And FYI I'm not a Red Bull fan any more than I am a Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus or Mercedes fan. So I don't bring any prejudice into this conversation either way and I'm not one of those "blind" Red Bull fans of which you speak.

Last edited by Koop; 07-26-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0