View Single Post
      12-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #53
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
^ +1 footie (on the parts I actually understood...)

My definition is accurate and in my opinion applies to your comments. You can't really talk your way around nor out of it. It is my opinion.

Wow talk about diversion and deflection. Get real. This has nothing to do with me, nor my education, nor your perceived weakness of my "American schooling" (again huge assumption on your behalf - you clearly have no idea where I was educated). Nor does it have absolutely anything to do with the historical relevance of some of the events you brought up. If you think the attitude of one German person about driving differences among different nationalities or even his own possible arrogance with regards to his driving abilities is related to pre WWII German political mores, then you could perhaps also argue 2<1.

Diversion and deflection.

The easy thing might just be to apologize for comments that many (from different countries as well) saw as inappropriate and/or offensive. But no you have to try to turn the tables and turn the attention away from yourself to the person who called you out. Some maturity is required here.

Good finally back on topic...

1. There is no evidence that Germans in general drive less distances from their homes, schools or businesses than Americans simply because America is larger. Sure a coast to coast trip in much or Europe is not nearly as vast as a coast to coast trip in the US. But again the relevance to deaths PER VEHICLE KM? None.

2. Less miles driven - again when you count PER VEHICLE KM it is accounted for. Your history may be OK but the math is clearly escaping you.

3. I don't think driving in Germany necessarily makes one a better driver either. But German driver training (and other regulatory and cultural forces) certainly does make them safer and less likely to be involved in serious/fatal accidents. If you call safer equivalent to better, which is a very gross way I think is fair, then sorry... they are "better".
Your definition is not accurate, but in your opinion if definitions change to suit you, cool.

No, it does not have to do with your education. It has everything to do with supposed German superiority. You might have seen that many people saw the comments as accurate satire.

I think you should apologize for characterizing WWII as a past struggle that has no relevance today. I think that is ignorant and downright insulting. Perhaps you need some more education?

1. You should be able to figure out, simply with common sense, that Americans traverse a far more diverse set of roads in more diverse conditions with a far more diverse set of drivers. I don't think Germans have quite the same problem with illegal aliens driving as the US. I think you will see more accidents simply due to the volume of vehicles on the road at the same time vs. Germany. Tell me, what would German driver education do to make a driver safer during rush hour in LA?

2. Show me the statistics you are referring to so I may see them on my own, not that I don't value your word.

3. I think German driver training makes the average driver better but there are also far more intensive driving courses available in the US if one desires. We have some great performance and safety driving instruction, that although expensive, is tops in the world with world class drivers and instructors. The difference is we don't have the state provide it but that also allows to not be diluted for every individual.
Appreciate 0