10-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
While I currently ride a yamaha r-1, may I suggest a cbr 1000r. Off the showroom floor, the bike is nearly as nimble as a 600, and plenty of torque down low relative to the 848. The cbr is priced competively with the 848, and generally regarded as the most reliable liter bike on the market.

I suspect most adrenaline junkies prefer an inline 4 because of the sensation of speed/acceleration when or hit the top of the rev range, especially on a 600 that feels pretty tame until you reach 8,000 - 9,000 rpms, then explodes with power. This is fun on the street, but sometimes an issue on the track when you're pushing 10/10ths. Can you say high side!

On the flip side, the 848 v-twin pulls at (what feels like) a constant rate. What some people describe as "no surprises". In reality, because there's no rush in acceleration, you can find yourself going a lot faster than you think. If you're a skilled rider, this is good. If you're new to riding, you will in all likelihood discover this in a turn. Touch your front brake and and you will discover what the pavement feels like at speed.

All this being said, and while it may seem contrary to what I said above, I would encourage you to investigate the cbr. With the cbr you get the best and worst of both bikes. In other words, it comes down to the rider. Use you brain, control your right wrist and pick your moments carefully and you'll have a blast and avoid the ER.
He's better off keeping the 6R. It's been the class leader ever since 09.
Appreciate 0