02-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009M3 View Post
Did this ever happen to anyone?
Man, this is the first time I EVER hear of this particular problem; that's weird indeed. However, I've heard many times of the oil cap not being properly installed (gasket bunches up), which is not hard at all to do due to a crappy design. When gasket is not perfectly seated on the cap (a light oil film takes care of that, like if it was an oil filter), oil is thrown everywhere since the gear-driven cam's gear throws oil right at the cap. This problem is quickly diagnosed by having a royal oil mess on your hood, and all over the cap area, flowing down to the pan/floor.

Even if the oil leak's location was right, the timing is very suspect indeed. Having said that, only cause could be a freak accident they're not telling you, because just changing the oil can't trigger an oil leak from that area. Both drain bolts are at the bottom of the pan, and oil filter is on top of the engine. And I don't think techs are that stupid to confuse a leak from the oil filter or oil cap above for an engine block gasket leak.

At any rate, your best bet is to maybe ask for a new engine. The damage of messing with your new car is already done. Just make sure they don't screw something else after they're done, as dropping the engine on this car is a huge deal IMO. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0