09-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
What kind of cleaner and how do you clean it? Doing it that often can actually do more harm than good especially if you're using strong cleaners or rubbing/scrubbing it aggressively. The leather is delicate but that's to be expected with higher end leathers. I had a previous car with Nappa leather and it required similar care. I got too agressive with it as it got older and the wear along the bolsters described by many here started to show.
I use all leather master products. I like them, the cleaner is water based and the conditioner seems to be a very non abrasive non smelly cream. I use the cleaners VERY sparingly applying them in very little portions when cleaning. Ive been doing this for over 8 years so I know what to do or expect.

I've had nappa leather in my x5 4.8iS but it did not wear like the leather in my M3. I put 120k on that car and the leather looked brand new when i got rid of it. The front seats even had a adjustment feature that would let you move the upper half of the seat (which would create more creases and stretch on the leather) and still no creases or wear.

I think no matter how much "higher end" the leather is, it shouldn't deteriorate in 1 years time. I've read in other threads that some people should really becareful when getting in and out; I think that can be debated. If I was BMW I'd expect the customer to be careless and would put the kind of leather that would take all kind of beating from any type of consumer. Whether it be nappa or not.