02-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #45
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Huh? The title says M3 w / DCT vs. Carrera S, guess I missed MSRP. Obviously MSRP is in the M3's favor, so what? If its performance for the buck, porsche or BMW are hardly the best option.

The point is the 997S is not going to be DCT less for much longer. The other point is with the upgrades the 997S will be the superior performer. I said they would unveil it close to production, to get a car in August production would have to be late April early June. The last build slot for the current model is early April. I'm not sure what you don't understand. Production would start a little over a month after the introduction, that is pretty darn quick.

I may be wrong on the date it is unveiled, Geneva makes the most sense, the point is Euro dealers have already confirmed all of this. Either way, I'll make sure to remind you of this after the official press release. Info usually shows up on forums before official press releases, nothing new.
First, we have each deviated from the title of the thread.

You're preaching to the choir. I have owned and loved quite a few 997s and probably know as much as most about the car. I don't doubt that the facelifted, power bumped 911 will put some hurt on the M. This has been discussed to death in other posts. But, $20k is a lot of dough to some people and that's where the M makes sense to them. A couple of tenths here or there doesn't make all that much difference on the street.

Lastly, I wouldn't rely so heavily on Porsche's PDK vs. BMW's M-DCT being a wash. The way I see it is that in a dual clutch comparison, BMW's version will have the edge, because it is very unlikely that Porsche will adopt a 7 speed. I dare say that the shorter ratios of the M will shave more time than faster shifts alone.

Swamp, can you believe this, I am defending the M against the 911; WTF!

Last edited by devo; 02-23-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0