View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #34
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I'm asking because I'm looking into getting a C2... (997 though)...I know the S65 is a champ...
I would not consider a 997 C2.

The only late model 911 (996 or 997) that I would consider is one with a Metzger motor = GT3 or Turbo. I think the 2009+ cars have engine improvements but the Metzger motor is supposed to be the best (that block has been around since the late 80's). The main weak point of the non-metzger engine is the IMS bearing. Not sure yet but my IMS may have caused the failure (google IMS bearing if you have not heard of it). AND I had an LN Engineering IMS ceramic bearing upgrade installed in march of this year. Again not sure if that was the failure but some of the symptoms point to that. Many people say the IMS issue is over-stated on the forums. After talking to some local engine builders, I will tell you I think it's under-stated.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0