View Single Post
      01-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Sunroof exploded spontaneously!

The most bizarre thing happened to me today: I was entering the on-ramp to the freeway near my downtown office - morning rush-hour so lots of traffic, am only doing 5-10 mph - then ... BANG!!

Sounds as loud as a shot-gun so my initial thought- hey, it's Texas - has someone shot at me/car?! Then the rain-of-glass from above commences. Look up and see my sunroof/moonroof is all crazed and that shards of glass are falling down into the car; about 1/3 of the total glass area has fallen. The residual is still affixed into the 'roof's frame.

No bridges (ie noone can have thrown something onto the roof), no foreign objects in the car (ie as result of falling from above), and no trucks nearby - and in any case, as I said was entering into heavy traffic so driving slowly. No potholes either.

Once I get out to check the roof I find that the residual glass is pushing outwards (skywards) not inwards. My take is some minute flaw in the sunroof glass + the stress of the seal had created a pressured environment that eventually caused it to shatter.

Exactly the same thing has happened to someone else:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100644

Only diff is that he was driving at speed whereas I was not (OK, and diff cars).

Called BMW Customer Care to report the incident. Busy day at work but will have to find the time to take it in to the local dealer & have them look the damage over.

Has this happened to anybody else w/ an E92 M3?

Now I want all of the glass gone from my interior (and some falling onto the rear aircon vents just behind the center armrest; and on rear seat / floor) and the 'roof replaced without ruining the interior.

Rotten luck, eh! Guess I should be glad I wasn't doing 70 and have a shard of glass hitting me in the face ....

Edit (more on p3)

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 01-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: added photo
Appreciate 0