HenryTav
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina-527 View Post
Yes, it's a 2008 E92 M3
Ok, I found it.

There are two descriptions for this code.

1. 00279F DME: Activation , Fan A
a. It can be the electric cooling fan that is not operating properly. How I would diagnose it? A primitive way to test it - if you do not have the BMW scanner or any other scanner that can activate the cooling fan and hear it functioning - would be turning the AC on and check if the fan kicks in. After some time, parked and engine running warm, you should hear the fan increasing the speed. The E92 M3’s fan is very loud when it is activated at maximum speed (hot weather and AC on).

2. 00279F : Map Thermostat Mechanism
a. The thermostat opens when the engine is too hot and allows the cooler fluid to refrigerate the engine. The car PCM (powertrain control module) monitors how efficient the coolant system is working. One plausible situation is, for example, when the engine is hot, the computer activates the electric fan and the engine does not cool down, the computer might interpret it as the thermostat is not operating properly. Also, the PCM (powertrain control module) might assume the fan is not operating as it should.
b. How to test it? Monitor the engine coolant temperature. It is difficult to do it on M3 because the instrument cluster does not have a gauge for engine coolant temperature, only engine oil temperature. But, If you have any scanner, you might be able to check the coolant temperature. It should be around 200 to 210 Fahrenheit within several minutes.
Worth to mention: Thermostat issues were very common on old e46s and BMW used the same terminology to indicate coolant issues. I had cases where replacing the thermostat would cure the problem.

I hope I was able to help!

Regards,

Last edited by HenryTav; 10-07-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0