01-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #413
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
All of those points are debatable, as the word "best" is completely subjective. $2k more than tried and true competitors that have been on the market for a *long* time now is something that *really* has to be considered. To me, each kit has strong point and weak points, making each attractive in its own way. LOVE the IM on the Evolve kit, best one I've seen, bar none. But is that alone worth a $2k price bump? Function over form for me, I'd like to see flow rate for each.
Yes, the Evolve kit is a little more expensive but the quality of the parts & near OEM finish offsets any price difference that might exists. It's also nice to know that Evolve is very, very customer focused and will do anything to make sure that the client is enjoying their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
At no point did I mentioned the s/c'ers themselves. My commentary was about the manifolds.
Because there is a difference (Air/Water vs Air/Air) the manifolds obviously must be designed differently and will have different flow rates.

Like I previously stated, the S65 is a VERY IAT sensitive motor (perhaps it's something pre-programmed into the DME, perhaps its the motor itself). This has been shown on N/A and Supercharged cars, that once IAT suppression has gone to shit the motor slow pulls timing (E85 has shown to counter this, but that it is a direct benefit provided by ethanol's "cooling" properties as a fuel).

Their is nothing wrong with the Air/Water or Air/Air kits, they both will have their advantages. For someone who strictly wants a single purpose, 1/4 mile or 60-130 car then Air/Water will be better as long as the water temp is kept down. I haven't seen an ice box's for the E9x M3 Air/Water kits, but I think it'd def be a very worthwhile mod (Weistec sells them for their M156 Supercharger kits). The Air/Air kits are undeniably better suited for cars that are street driven or track raced. While the initial IAT reduction will not beat a "fresh" Air/Water car, the passive air flow will keep the IATs consistent and (over the long term) lower than an Air/Water kit. This is also one of the reasons I'm disappointed the F3x M3/M4 is Air/Water, and expect an Air/Air conversion to be an aftermarket option.

Air/Water is far from ideal on street cars, and tends to be used A) in factory supercharger applications (Terminator Mustang, B8 S4, x55 AMG Mercs, etc) or B) when an aftermarket Air/Air system isn't feasible (Ex: TT-Lambos/R8s, an Air/Air is completely unrealistic without chopping the car up because of the cars design/layout).

Results >
Appreciate 0