01-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #412
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickeM3 View Post
But your not buying individual pieces, your buying a kit. So as a kit, form follows function. You asked for flow rates, we already know a vortech flows about 50cc higher than a rotrex. no big deal in terms of power, maybe a few hp at first glance. But then, again, the total package, A-A IC vs A-W, is the A-A doing a better job at fighting heat? I personally think so given the data we have seen, meaning you keep the power your making and not retarding timing in the IAT tables.
I need a datalogger badly to confirm...but from what I've gathered over the years from speaking with a number of the builders of these systems (and I've just now recently come to realize) is that it's not just higher IAT's that result in power loss...it's EGT's, oil and water temps, fuel trims, etc. In fact higher IAT's may have the smallest impact compared with these other variables on the S/C S65.

Outside teh variables noted above, the most important things to consider on the S/C S65 is 1) quality fuel and 2) DA's. One day I'll be doing high 8 to low 9 second 60-130's runs on the VBox in the heat of the SoCal high-elevation deserts and then later that night at 2am back home at sea level I'll be seeing high 6's. The effect on my turbo 911 is far less dramatic, where I'm seeing high 7's on a hot day and low 7's on a cold evening. This variability on the M3 has made me give up on it for straight line racing, as I can't control DA's.

As it relates to S/C M3's, I prefer to air to air (and frankly am extremely impressed with the Evolve system) but it will not differ much as compare to the air to water counterparts as IAT's just aren't that significant of a variable.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0