View Single Post
      04-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

The questions you are asking and comments you are making leads me to believe that this job may be way over your head. Like mentioned above, have a friend who has experience working on brakes help you. He will be your biggest asset. Otherwise, prepare to have your car down a few days while you figure stuff out as you go along.

For reference, I diy almost all my car projects. I've worked on brakes a lot on other cars and it still took me over 2 days to install my Brembo BBK's since working on my M3's brakes was new to me. I had to figure stuff out as I went along. I ended up having to learn how to adjust the e-brake on my car since the e-brake was not holding on hills with the new rear rotors.

Jack stands are a must as you'll need to have the whole car off the ground to properly bleed the lines. Having a shop manual is also extremely helpful to reference for torques and diagrams. Having all the proper tools is also very important to make sure the parts are installed correctly. You'll also need tin snips to cut the rear rotor dust shields.

Brake bleeding is THE most important part of the install. The brakes won't work properly if the lines aren't bled correctly. I found out that my Motive power bleeder was not good for getting big air bubbles out of the lines. After using the power bleeder 3 times, I ended up bleeding the old school way and got all the air out of the lines.

The one thing I would highly recommend is to wear a dust mask. I inhaled so much brake dust that I ended up getting sick. I'm not sure if this was the exact cause, but I'm sure it didn't help.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0